Zain Announces Second Round of Al Tayeb Saleh Award for Creative Writing
Khartoum – Last Thursday the activities of the third round of novelist Al Tayeb Saleh Award kicked off at Coral Hotel under the auspices of Zain Telecommunication Company in the fields of novel, short story and critical studies based on established principles in memorizing the late Sudanese novelist Tayeb Saleh to encourage cultural activity and promote the values of literature and arts to connect Sudan culturally with its regional and international surrounding.
In the same context, Professor Ali Shumo commended the role of Zain Company in sponsoring creativity and the talented and disclosed that more than 312 contending writers from different countries of the world such as Australia, Africa took part for the first time. Ali Shumo indicated that the credit of the success goes to Zain Company which supports this achievement, stating that there is a leading group within the company playing a great role to make this Award a success. He said that there were a number of members left their positions to allow opportunity for others after they did well in the second round such as Khalid Al-Mubarak, brother of former minister Abdel Basit Abdel Majid, one of founders of this Award, the great actor Ali Mahdi. Professor Abdallah Ali Ibrahim, Dr. and former ambassador Omar Abdel Majid, a French speaking and poet, have joined the board of secretariat, whose role is much needed, especially after the Northwest African countries joined the competition.
Al Tayeb Saleh Scientific Award for Creative Writing – the third round. Terms of participation:
* Should be within 30,000 to 40000 words, the first winner will get $10,000 in US dollars, $7000 for the second runner up and $5000 for the third runner up.
Secondly, short story:
* Within 10,000 to 15,000 words, the first winner will get $10,000 in US dollars, $7000 for the second runner up and $5000 for the third runner up.
Thirdly, critical studies:
* The work should be within the region of 30,000 words in the fields of: a. Arab heritage. b. aspects of heritage in modern Arabic novel. c. Arabic novel and history. d. heritage language in Arabic novel. e. heritage diagnosis and how to get inspiration from them in Arabic novel, the value of the Award is the first winner will get $10,000 in US dollars, $7000 for the second runner up and $5000 for the third runner up.
1. Writing in Arabic
2. The work should not have been presented for any other competition
3. Commitment not to publish works presented only after results are announced.
4. As for critical field: methodologies applied to academic research should be followed with provision of information and citations and references.
5. Participation can be submitted via email. In case of emailing or submitting in person, the applicants should supply the secretariat of the Award with four copies of the work with personal details, email address, PO. Box, phone number and field of participation, on the envelope.
6. The decisions of the panel are final and demand for disclosing them is not allowed.
7. Zain Company reserve the right to print and publish the winning works as well as other works recommended by the panel, not for commercial purpose, and every contender should sign participation application available on the Websites.
8. Participating with more than one work is not allowed.
9. The deadline for receiving works is 31st August 2012.
10. Any work not satisfying abovementioned conditions will not be given back to its owner.
11. Hand-written works are not accepted.
The works should be sent to the following address: P.O. Box: 13588, Khartoum, Sudan
Tel: +249 90 00 11 0 60 1061
By Mohamed Babikir, Photo: Alsir Mukhtar, 27/05/2012