Children First: A World Fit for Children (2-2)
In the UN General Assembly’s Special Session in May 2002, the Children of the World presented some key demands to the World Leaders to create a World Fit for Children.
These key demands were:
1. Respect for the rights of the child.
2. End to exploitation, abuse and violence.
3. An end to war.
4. Provision of health care.
5. Eradication of HIV/AIDS
6. Protection of the environment.
7. End to the vicious cycle of poverty
8. Provision of Education
9. Active participation of children.
Almost 10 years these critical demands have not been completely met. Can we hope for a summit for Children to review the world forum and genuine commitment for a World Fit for Children.
By Alula Berhe Kidani, 28/10/2011